Fresno machete and bat fight ends in apparent self-defense shooting
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Investigators are still piecing together the bizarre fight that ended with one gang member in the hospital, and two others in custody.
Officers rushed to a home on Augusta near Gettysburg in Northeast Fresno, just before 7 p.m. Sunday, after getting reports of a shooting.
Police said a man, who lives near a troubled park in the area, spotted the gang members outside his house. He first confronted them with a machete, but one of the suspects got a baseball bat out of a car nearby and knocked the weapon out of the man's hand.
Some of the resident's family members then joined the fight, which ended after the man grabbed a rifle and opened fire.
"The resident shot one of the Bulldogs with the gun in the torso. It's a through and through wound, it's not life threatening. He is at CRMC right now being treated," said Lt. Joe Gomez with the Fresno Police Department.
Police say it appears the man won't face charges for the shooting because it was in self-defense, but they did arrest him for being a felon in possession of a gun.
fresno, fresno county, fresno northeast, local
- Perez and Barrera found guilty of 1st degree murder 37 min ago
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Michaels Crafts data breach, nearly 3M compromised
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- Visalia approves limiting residents' water use
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Gas prices rise as temperatures heat up
- Salmon moved on the San Joaquin River
- 59 Days of Code competition encouraging developers
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos