Fresno machete and bat fight ends in apparent self-defense shooting
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Investigators are still piecing together the bizarre fight that ended with one gang member in the hospital, and two others in custody.
Officers rushed to a home on Augusta near Gettysburg in Northeast Fresno, just before 7 p.m. Sunday, after getting reports of a shooting.
Police said a man, who lives near a troubled park in the area, spotted the gang members outside his house. He first confronted them with a machete, but one of the suspects got a baseball bat out of a car nearby and knocked the weapon out of the man's hand.
Some of the resident's family members then joined the fight, which ended after the man grabbed a rifle and opened fire.
"The resident shot one of the Bulldogs with the gun in the torso. It's a through and through wound, it's not life threatening. He is at CRMC right now being treated," said Lt. Joe Gomez with the Fresno Police Department.
Police say it appears the man won't face charges for the shooting because it was in self-defense, but they did arrest him for being a felon in possession of a gun.
fresno, fresno county, fresno northeast, local
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate 24 min ago
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach 3 min ago
- 8 kids, 4 adults involved in SW Fresno crash 37 min ago
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- 7 health apps you need to know about
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- News conference on missing Malaysia jet
24 min ago