Attic fire in Fresno forces 4 from their home
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A fire forced two adults and two children from their Fresno home on Sunday.
The flames started in the attic of this house at McKinley and West around 11 a.m. Sunday morning. A captain at the scene said it appears rats or possums may have chewed through wiring and sparked an electrical fire.
Everyone made it out of the home safely, but firefighters had to destroy most of the attic to make sure they didn't miss any hot spots. "There's a lot of damage. It was electrical, it looks like the electrical went to the entire attic. The attic consists of two layers of plaster, it looks like chicken wire so we have to get chainsaws to take it all down," said Karey Wedemeyer, City of Fresno Fire Department.
Crews removed the family's belongings before going to work with those chainsaws. Investigators are also looking into why a smoke detector at the house did not go off.
Firefighters said this fire could have been deadly if it happened at night when the family was sleeping.
fresno, fresno county, fresno west central, fire, local
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- 2-year-old shot in the thigh in Atwater
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room fight
- Wheels of Hope awards Valley family a new car
- 3 men die in sauna after drinking at Christmas party
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos