Tense moments for Valley residents in Oklahoma
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The severe weather is providing some tense moments for Valley residents in Oklahoma.
A local Red Cross volunteer who spent the day comforting tornado victims was ready to take cover. And a Bulldog basketball player hopes these storms don't cause further injury.
Strong winds and more severe weather kept Oklahoma residents on edge.
Fresno State basketball player Taylor Thompson saw the twister damage up close when she flew home last week. She lives in the town of Cache. Wednesday's tornado watch left her with an uncomfortable feeling.
"It is a little uneasy because I know the damage that they can cause," said Thompson. "Thankfully all my friends and family have been fine up until now and hopefully that continues."
Red Cross volunteer Debbie Dailey of Fresno described a very emotional scene at the memorial service for seven school kids who were killed. Dailey's unit includes nurses and mental health professionals. She said it's important volunteers stay busy so they're not overcome with emotion.
"We decompress at night," said Dailey. "On my team we all share a feel good story."
Dailey has also been keeping a close eye on the skies. Taylor Thompson grew up in tornado alley so a family safety plan has long been in place.
Thompson explained, "We actually have a cellar at my house so that's nice knowing that we have that but I would just be uneasy thinking about my family."
Dailey said her team was even going door to door to check on families and ask if they needed any help.
tornado, local, dale yurong
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- Valley Sikhs speak out on bullying report
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Peach Blossom Festival growing each year 15 min ago
- Merced authorities see rise in honey oil explosions 42 min ago
- Musical mavericks make waves
- Pet Adoption of the Week: Lady Bug
- Fallout from Target's data breach
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno
- Rockets strike Israel, jeopardizing truce talk
- Photos: 2 dead after car hits crowd at SXSW
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale
- Driver kills 2, injures 23 at SXSW festival, police say