Valley gearing up for hot weekend
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Even as the sun set, kids still splashed around at Dickey Park in Downtown Fresno Friday night: a perfect start to a sizzling weekend.
In Clovis, hundreds marched through the Friday night farm market.
But the hot spot at this farm market: the local ice cream shop.
The line stretched out the door as workers quickly piled these cones with the cool treat.
Lupe Sanchez says when triple digits hit the Valley she hides out.
"I stay inside, I won't go outside until about 7 or 8," Sanchez said.
Thousands of student athletes, coaches and spectators are braving the 100 degree weather for the CIF track and field championships at Veteran's Memorial Stadium.
Even though these athletes may be from places in California that are much cooler than the Valley, they prepare for the heat.
Rick Limbo is the lead athletic trainer for this massive sports event.
He says the athletes are in top physical condition so the heat isn't really an issue for them.
"They've been hydrating, they're aware of it. We get more concerned for the coaches and some of the officials who aren't used to being out here," Limbo said.
But we did find plenty of people who are paying attention to the forecast. They came prepared with umbrellas, hats, sunglasses and many other items.
"Plenty of water, I had water all the way here from Arroyo Grande and my children have a lot of water, so yes I'll be hydrated," Sandra Davis said.
Health officials say hydration is key to staying safe in the heat.
clovis, fresno county, local, rick montanez
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe