Fresno man arrested for allegedly making child porn
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A sex offender is back in jail, this time on child pornography charges. Investigators say he was secretly videotaping underage girls.
Fresno police detectives say they seized a great deal of evidence from 34-year-old Derek Garcia's home, and they believe all of it points to his collection and possible distribution of child pornography.
Garcia is in the Fresno County Jail facing five felony charges for the child pornography. Court papers show detectives have evidence dating back to February.
Investigators say the internet is what lead them to Derek Garcia's collection of child porn. Garcia was arrested at his northwest Fresno home last week. Police say what they found inside his house is extremely disturbing.
Louis Garibay lives next door to Garcia. He and his neighbors are stunned by the news. "That's a shame because kids are our future, when you mess up their lives, you mess up our world," Garibay said. "That's the way I look at that."
Investigators say Garcia was properly registered with law enforcement as a sex offender. But what fueled the investigation further is his address. Garcia is just across the street from Lions Park and down the road from Slater Elementary School.
Parents let their kids play in the area several days a week. Many of them tell Action News they're outraged Garcia lives near so many kids. "It's kind of hard to believe. I mean, it really makes no sense," said Jesse Munoz."
"It's really hard to tell how long he's been doing this particular activity," said Fresno Police Sexual Assault Unit Detective Dustin Bruzee. "But I can tell you he obviously has a history of sexually related crimes."
That history dates back to 1997. Court documents show a 19-year-old Garcia drugged and raped a 14-year-old girl. He served a year in prison and 4 years on probation.
Because of that previous rape conviction, if Garcia is convicted of these new allegations he would be sent to state prison instead of a county jail. He's scheduled to appear in court later this month.
fresno, fresno county, fresno northwest, sex crimes, crimetracker, local, rick montanez
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180 15 min ago
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts 19 min ago
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law 50 min ago
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Russian power play: Crimea vote on joining Russia
- Business leaders discuss drought impact 55 min ago
- Businessman announces run for Fresno City Council
- Murderer apologizes for killing pregnant woman
- Mother of 2-year-old that died faces felony charges
- Who will be Mayor?
- Residents concerned over proposed chemical warehouse
- Photos: Selfless acts that will brighten your day
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
23 min ago