Hero saves 3-year-old boy from Fresno canal
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The man who rescued a little boy from an irrigation canal on Thursday has come forward.
Miguel Pedraza, 22, left the scene of a near-drowning accident near Shaw and Valentine. He says he became too emotional after pulling three-year-old Sammy Lozano from the water.
The little boy fell in while walking along the canal bank with his aunt and two dogs. The aunt did not know how to swim, but screamed frantically for help. That's when Miguel, who was walking nearby, jumped over a fence and into the water to pull the boy out.
"I seen that he wasn't breathing, and his whole face blue and purple, his eyes was open, and he looked stiffed. So I laid him down, and I started pushing on his chest," said Pedraza.
Miguel successfully gave the little boy CPR to revive him, but left once he knew the boy was going to be okay.
When Miguel got home, he said he gave his son a big hug.
Miguel now wants to meet the family but doesn't think he's a hero.
fresno, fresno county, fresno northwest, hero, local
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals