Sugar Pine Trail construction begins
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- In Northeast Fresno construction is underway on the popular Sugar Pine Trail.
Crews closed down Shepherd Avenue Monday morning between Perrin and Millbrook to build an underpass for the trail.
Early Monday morning, construction crews went to work on the Sugar Pine Trail to make the heavily used path underground.
Karen Torres and her husband Richard have lived in Northeast Fresno for a number of years and have seen several close calls at the crossing.
"For the safety, for the bicyclist and pedestrians walking its just a safe idea." said Karen Torres.
Just last summer, 7-year-old Donovan Maldonado was struck and killed in the crosswalk, raising questions about the safety of the area.
"Oh that was tragic, absolutely tragic. You cant bring it back all you can do is move forward and try to do something for the future and I think that's a really good idea to have that done," said Richard Torres.
The city said the nearly $1.5 million project, which is federally funded, has been in the works for years, and was not prompted by Maldonado's death.
"This project was brought about because of funding, air quality money, to help reduce idling and stop and go traffic along Shepherd Avenue." said Fresno Public Works Dirtector Patrick Wiemiller.
The new route will mean pedestrians and cars will no longer have to share the roadway. During construction,Shepherd will be closed to traffic.
Neighbors Action News spoke with said they plan to take different routes.
"It's going to create some congestion for everybody obviously and everybody's going to be put out somewhat, but it's for the betterment of the whole neighborhood and I think it's something that had to be done all along," said Richard Torres.
This is the ninth tunnel to be constructed along the Sugar Pine Trail between Clovis and Fresno and the fifth one in Fresno.
fresno northeast, fresno, fresno county, local, amanda venegas
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall 1 min ago
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe 22 min ago
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- Effort to complete Herndon bike trail underway
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Wanted Fresno burglar caught on camera
- Body of missing Delano woman found in canal
- Two injured in Madera drive-by shooting
- American teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- US economy grows at 3.6 percent rate in 3rd quarter
- Foothill residents preparing for freezing temps
- US jobless claims drop to 316,000, as layoffs slow
- Video: Fresno's homeless search for shelter from...