Fresno police say violent crime is down in the city
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- We don't usually have "good news" to report when it comes to crime, but Wednesday we do. Fresno police say the trends are in their favor, and showing a large decrease in overall crime throughout the city.
One by one, the top brass of Fresno Police read off their stats during its monthly crime meeting. Various District Commanders and Captains said, things like, "It's all good news", and "there's more minuses then pluses, all of our numbers look good."
They say crime is down, in most categories, across the city. They're reporting an overall 11.5 percent reduction in property crimes and a 9 percent reduction in violent crimes as compared to this time last year.
Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer says it's no random downward spike. He's crediting a structural change in the department. "We put lieutenants as the district commanders and we have captains as bureau commanders over them and they are very focused on crime, and we created bureau impact at that time and I believe, all of those things working together is why we're seeing the reductions."
He also says they've been pouring over crime data -- studying the statistics and trends in every district. "When you put that information into the hands of our commanders and filters down to our officers, we're making sure we're arresting the right people, that we're putting our officers in the rights spots, what we call hot spots."
As a result every district has seen a decrease in crime, and to date detectives are reporting a 94% clearance rate on homicide, something that Chief Dyer says is unheard of. "It's a credit to the individuals that are focusing on crime, reducing crime."
crimetracker, fresno police department, jerry dyer, fresno county, fresno, local, stephanie stone
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe