18-month-old child dies in Kern County house fire
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- An 18-month-old child has died in a Kern County house fire Wednesday night.
The Kern County Fire Department battled the blaze for 30-minutes and once they got inside the home they found the child who had received fatal injuries. An investigation as to what happened is currently under way.
Anthony Lazcano is holding his younger brothers and sister a little closer, after hearing about the death of his neighbor. "I was in my room and I heard sirens going off. I come out to check and I see all the fire trucks and ambulance around. I didn't know nothing of it until I came out here and I just see smoke coming out the window and I see a family crying on the side and I didn't know what was going on."
Leaders with the Kern County Fire Department say an 18-month-old child was found inside the burning structure.
"It's kind of a sad thing to hear especially so close by especially since I have four little brothers, so imagine what they're going through, just the feeling of losing a baby," said Lazcano.
Investigators say heavy smoke and fire was coming from the front and east of the two-story house. It took more than thirty personnel to battle the blaze.
"They had exposure just behind the actual building on the same address. There's a second building, another residence, that building at one point was threaten but fire fighters were able to get back there and make an exposure stop," said Corey Wilford.
Crews managed to pull a hose line through the front of the home to control the fire. Officials say an investigation is now under way to see exactly how the fire started.
"Its still really early, we just don't know what it is yet, it's really early in the investigation so as things become more and more available we'll make sure we just get it out," said Wilford.
Fire investigators are now working to determine how the child got left inside the burning home. They are also looking for what started the fire.
kern county, fire, state
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate 35 min ago
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach 2 min ago
- 8 kids, 4 adults involved in SW Fresno crash 48 min ago
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- 7 health apps you need to know about
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- News conference on missing Malaysia jet
35 min ago
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach
22 min ago