Homeowner shoots intruder in northwest Harris County
HOUSTON -- A homeowner opened fire on an intruder in his northwest Harris County home overnight. The intruder was hit, but at least one bullet hit a home next door.
Neighbors in the Ponderosa Forest subdivision were surprised to hear about the early morning burglary attempt in the 1600 block of Sweet Grass Trail that ended with the homeowner shooting the suspect twice.
"It's kind of scary, yeah," said one neighbor.
David Tiger says the neighborhood is generally quiet, although property crime is not unheard of.
"The neighborhood has been real safe. FM 1960 has been rotten the last few years, so it's kind of shocking to hear that they're coming back in the neighborhood," he said.
The homeowner in this case wasn't injured, and the suspect was taken to the hospital. There was some collateral damage as a result of the shooting; a 14-year-old girl who suffered a seizure after a stray bullet entered her home.
"That was scary. She seized for a good three minutes and turned purple," said the teen's mother, Rosario Alcarez. "Luckily, I'm a nurse and my daughter's a nurse, and she just kind of hovered over her."
Still, neighbors supported the homeowner's actions.
"The reason I bought my gun is because I hear about things like this," said neighbor John Antell.
Antell has lived there more than 40 years. He's glad the homeowner wasn't hurt, but doesn't like knowing houses are being broken into.
"It's something very serious," he said. "It could happen to me tomorrow."
The mother of the girl who suffered the seizure tells us her daughter is fine now, and back home from the hospital. She says that bullet that entered her home missed he daughter by only two feet, which is likely why she had the reaction she did.
As for the suspect, he is expected to survive. The homeowner is not facing charges.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, simon gutierrez
- Ryan Rodriquez found safe in Fresno County
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Fresno Co. supervisors OK preliminary marijuana ban
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Man shot several times in Central Fresno
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
- Uruguay legalizes sale, production of marijuana
- Warming tent setup for homeless in Merced County
- Debate on Fresno's water rate hike gets heated
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
abc30.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos