Yellow fever mosquito found in Fresno County
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- One day after Madera announced a yellow fever mosquito was found there, authorities announced the Mosquito Abatement District has detected the same type of mosquito in Fresno County.
The Aedes aegypti (yellow fever) mosquito is not native to California and is an efficient carrier of diseases such as dengue, yellow fever, and chikungunya.
Authorities say no illnesses associated with this mosquito have been reported so far.
Aedes aegypti, yellow fever mosquito, is a small, dark mosquito with white markings and banded legs. It may be active around dusk and dawn but bites most often during the day and often bites indoors.
"The public's help is needed to eradicate this mosquito population before it can become established in our community", states Steve Mulligan, Manager of the Consolidated Mosquito Abatement District. "Residents who experience mosquito bites during the day are asked to contact the District."
Fresno County residents who live in valley communities are urged to:
-- Report mosquito bites received during the day. Also report any mosquitoes which match the description above. Call the Consolidated Mosquito Abatement District toll-free at 1-800-821-1577.
-- Apply insect repellents that contain DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus or IR 3535 according to label instructions.
-- Use repellent, especially in the early morning and in the evening.
-- Make sure that doors and windows have tight-fitting screens to keep out mosquitoes. Repair or replace screens that have holes.
-- Use mosquito netting over infant cribs, carriers, and strollers.
-- Eliminate standing water and containers that can hold water from around the home. This mosquito lays its eggs in water holding containers.
-- Get FREE mosquito fish for backyard ponds or water features from mosquito abatement
The public can call the Mosquito Abatement District at 1-800-821-1577.
fresno county, local
- Final Crimea count: 97 percent back Russia
- Merced PD looks for witnesses to deadly shooting
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire
- Crash sends Fresno police car into canal
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Merced police seek help to catch armed robber
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast
- Consumer Reports: Skip extended car warranties
- Diamond 'Dogs swept by New Mexico
- 'Dogs women's, men's hoops set for postseason
- Oprah Winfrey to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos