Fresno man missing near San Luis Obispo
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Fresno man has officially been declared missing and presumed dead.
Twenty-one-year-old Stefan Wagner was swimming in Spooner's Cove near San Luis Obispo Thursday, and when he dove beneath the surface he never came back up.
Search and Rescue teams scoured the area, which is inside the Montana De Oro State Park. But they called off the search at nightfall.
Wagner's father said he is a great swimmer. The Cal Poly student played water polo in high school and often body-surfed. Wagner also used to dive for abalone and lobster.
The area he was last seen is notoriously treacherous. Another Cal Poly student went missing near Spooner's cove back in 2006.
missing person, local
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Arrest made in Tulare County officer-involved shooting
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases
- New painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin
- Athletes embracing "extreme" exercise trends
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy