Carstens Fire nearly contained
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Carstens fire that burned more than 1,700 acres near Midpines last week is nearly contained.
Firefighters got the upper hand just in time for a popular music festival that was inside the evacuation zone.
"This year with the fire we didn't know if it was going to take place but it was a total success," said Chuck Carter. "We were very lucky, I think God spared this place."
Every year Carter showcases talent from all around the state and throws a big party. Last Sunday a fire ripped through his community and almost put a stop to the gathering. At one point firefighters asked 1,900 people to evacuate their homes. But on Thursday afternoon firefighters let people back in and opened the roads close to Carter's ranch and the festival was back on.
Those who came to the festival had to pay $40 to get in but this year there was one special group of people who got in for free. Chuck Carter said this is his way of thanking every single firefighter for keeping his community safe.
"We did invite you and some of you came. We really appreciate it," Carter said.
mariposa, mariposa county, local, mariana jacob
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- 2-year-old shot in the thigh in Atwater
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room fight
- Wheels of Hope awards Valley family a new car
- 3 men die in sauna after drinking at Christmas party
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos