Skateboarding teen dies after being hit by a vehicle in Fresno County
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A skateboarder died in a crash with a vehicle in Fresno County. The accident happened around 5:30 Monday evening on North near Thompson.
CHP investigators say 16-year-old Mark Carpenter Junior was traveling westbound on his skateboard -- when a driver tried passing him up. They said the teenager zig-zagged in and out of the lanes, and was struck by the driver of a silver Chevy.
Authorities say their preliminary investigation indicates this crash was an accident, and they don't plan to file any charges against the driver.
Sgt. Patrick Etchebarne said, "It appears that the Chevy observed the skate boarder well in advance, attempted to pass the skate boarder and the skate boarder traversed right into the vehicle that was passing it."
Investigators say the boy was not wearing a helmet and lived near the area of the accident.
fresno county, fresno, local
- Large explosion, building collapse reported in Harlem 7 min ago
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Arrest made in Tulare County officer-involved shooting
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases
- New painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin
- Athletes embracing "extreme" exercise trends
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- Pre-exercise routine
39 min ago