Same-sex marriages to start in Fresno Monday
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Since the order to begin issuing marriage licenses for same-sex couples came down late Friday afternoon.
Valley couples will have to wait until Monday to apply.
Come Monday morning all 58 California counties will be issuing same-sex marriage licenses. This order from the State Department of Health arrived at the Fresno County Clerk's office at 4:30 Friday.
As news of this spread calls began to trickle into the clerks office, asking when people can come down to get their marriage licenses. Brandi Orth The Fresno County Clerk said her office is ready to begin issuing marriage license on Monday at 8:30 a.m. just as soon as the office reopens.
" Well we did have a team meeting. We are pulling in all of our employees to help us from our election side division because we want to process the crowd as efficiently as we can. So we are prepared, we will do everything we can to help them," said Orth.
The staff is expecting a large crowd Monday morning. Action News has also checked with other counties in Central California, those said they will be ready to issue the marriage licenses as well.
fresno, fresno county, gay rights, local, rick montanez
- Malaysian official: Investigators conclude jet hijacked 13 min ago
- SW Fresno crash sends 12 people to hospital
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon 39 min ago
- States sue over California's egg laws
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- Chef Shayna's Irish favorites
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- YouTube: Newborn Gorilla Recovers After Emergency...
- John Hancock observatory in Chicago to Tilt