Experts advise caution with children around water
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Water safety is a major concern as many families head to neighborhood pools and local lakes to cool down.
The biggest advice experts have is just stay away out of the water if you don't know how to swim. And a special reminder to parents, never leave young children unsupervised.
Plunging into icy cold water is a very popular way to escape the scorching weather. But local pools can also be a dangerous place for young children.
According to the state's department of developmental services: " in California, drowning is a leading cause of injury-related deaths among children under the age of five.
" Even with the lifeguard things can happen, I like to make sure there are more pairs of eyes than just the life guards," said Launda Alexander from Kerman.
Experts say if you have a pool in your backyard make sure everyone in your house knows the basics of swimming, and at the very least how to float. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention urges parents to learn how to perform life saving skills like CPR.
In addition anyone who owns a pool should install a four sided fence which locks. and blocks off children. Many families were at Lost Lake on Saturday splashing around.
Pa Yang and her kids stayed close together and near the shore.
" I am going to be watching them carefully, I guess because the water is very fast. So I am going to be making sure they hold hands if we go any further, " said Yang.
But experts say fast moving water is a dangerous place for young children and even adults. Make sure young children are supervised at all times when they're in the water, experts say. Also if they are out in the ocean a life jacket is always a good idea.
clovis, local, mariana jacob
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Toys for Tots needs just over 10k gifts to meet goal
- Tulare County opens fraud hotline
- Big Sur wildfire destroys fire chief's home
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $636 million
- 3 Fresno State Bulldogs named SI All-Americans Honorable Mentions
- Inmate escapes from Merced County Jail
- 1 dead 1 injured in Merced C.O. shooting
- Fighting the flu with exercise
11 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos