Young Valley pilot completes flight around world
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A young Valley pilot touched down in Fresno Saturday, completing his flight around the world, and breaking a world record at the same time.
Twenty- year-old Jack Wiegand landed Saturday evening, completing his mission to be the youngest person to fly solo around the world. Jack left Fresno Yosemite International Airport May 1 and logged about 150 hours in the air in a small single-engine plane.
A few mishaps and bad weather delayed his return but Wiegand said it was all worth it.
"It's been an amazing trip whether it be waiting three weeks in japan or trying to fly around thunderstorms in India or being intercepted by an F-18 fighter jet, it's all been amazing," said Wiegand.
Wiegand also received a proclamation from the City of Fresno naming June 28 Jack Wiegand day. Wiegand says while the trip a great experience he is very happy to be back home.
fresno, fresno county, local
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge 53 min ago
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Heart of the Horse is expanding
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Calwa Catholics mark Good Friday with procession
- Health Watch: depressed preschoolers?