Young Valley pilot completes flight around world
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A young Valley pilot touched down in Fresno Saturday, completing his flight around the world, and breaking a world record at the same time.
Twenty- year-old Jack Wiegand landed Saturday evening, completing his mission to be the youngest person to fly solo around the world. Jack left Fresno Yosemite International Airport May 1 and logged about 150 hours in the air in a small single-engine plane.
A few mishaps and bad weather delayed his return but Wiegand said it was all worth it.
"It's been an amazing trip whether it be waiting three weeks in japan or trying to fly around thunderstorms in India or being intercepted by an F-18 fighter jet, it's all been amazing," said Wiegand.
Wiegand also received a proclamation from the City of Fresno naming June 28 Jack Wiegand day. Wiegand says while the trip a great experience he is very happy to be back home.
fresno, fresno county, local
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals