Tower District apartment ceiling collapses
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fifteen people are without a home Sunday morning after part of the ceiling collapsed in their apartment building.
The Fresno Fire Department said the Carleton building is unsafe to be occupied until it has been inspected. The building is at Fulton and Dennett in Fresno's Tower District.
The second story ceiling came crashing down Saturday night in a stairwell. Emergency crews quickly evacuated the building, because part of the wall began to crack. An infant was taken to the hospital as a precaution because of the heavy cloud of dust.
" The building I believe was built back in 1920 so its very likely there is asbestos, the dust is through out the whole building so when we first arrived we could barely see each other through the dust, " Karey Wedemeyer from the Fresno Fire Department said.
Fire fighters helped the residents collect their belongings and pets from the building. A fax bus was brought in to keep the residents cool as the red cross worked to find them temporary housing.
fresno, fresno tower district, local
- Ryan Rodriquez found safe in Fresno County 6 min ago
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Local heroes honored for bravery in Fresno
- Fresno Co. supervisors OK preliminary marijuana ban
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Man shot several times in Central Fresno
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
- Uruguay legalizes sale, production of marijuana
- Warming tent setup for homeless in Merced County
- Debate on Fresno's water rate hike gets heated
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos