Tower District apartment ceiling collapses
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fifteen people are without a home Sunday morning after part of the ceiling collapsed in their apartment building.
The Fresno Fire Department said the Carleton building is unsafe to be occupied until it has been inspected. The building is at Fulton and Dennett in Fresno's Tower District.
The second story ceiling came crashing down Saturday night in a stairwell. Emergency crews quickly evacuated the building, because part of the wall began to crack. An infant was taken to the hospital as a precaution because of the heavy cloud of dust.
" The building I believe was built back in 1920 so its very likely there is asbestos, the dust is through out the whole building so when we first arrived we could barely see each other through the dust, " Karey Wedemeyer from the Fresno Fire Department said.
Fire fighters helped the residents collect their belongings and pets from the building. A fax bus was brought in to keep the residents cool as the red cross worked to find them temporary housing.
fresno, fresno tower district, local
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts 34 min ago
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Russian power play: Crimea vote on joining Russia
- George Radanovich to announce he won't run for governor 16 min ago
- Business leaders discuss drought impact
- Fresno man pleads guilty to murdering father
- Businessman announces run for Fresno City Council
- Free dental care to be offered in Fresno 43 min ago
- Fresno shopping cart crackdown to cut crime?
34 min ago