Pools in demand in the Central Valley
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Steady home construction is a sign the housing market is recovering, but that is not the only industry booming.
More and more Valley families are also taking the plunge and putting in backyard pools.
The sounds of concrete being poured is music to the ears of valley families begin to take the big step to put in a swimming pool. Crews shot gunite through high pressure hoses to help give shape to the pool.
Builders like Jason Metcalf of Stingray Custom Swimming Pools says the industry is recovery has mirrored that of the housing market.
"It slowed down really 09, 10 and 11 when it almost came to a standstill when we were barely surviving and now it's great. It's starting to bounce back again," Metcliff said.
For homeowners the big pour marks an exciting day because they can actually see how the pool fits into their yard. Metcalf has found more people are able to fit pools into their budget.
" There's not so much equity in the houses but homeowners are finding it easier now with the trust of the banks to get loans to put in luxury items like swimming pools here," Metcliff said.
The intense Valley heat poses a big challenge for crews. Workers keep cool water on hand and start their days about 6:30 a.m.
"If its 112 degrees its going to be impossible for us to pour concrete so we have to play it with mother nature a bit," Metcliff said.
Other pool builders say they have also noticed the increase in business and the subcontractors from tile and plastering to plumbers are busy too. It takes about six to eight weeks to have a swimming pool.
central valley, fresno, fresno county, local, dale yurong
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno
- Rockets strike Israel, jeopardizing truce talk
- Fallout from Target's data breach 17 min ago
- Photos: 2 dead after car hits crowd at SXSW
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale
- Driver kills 2, injures 23 at SXSW festival, police say
- Searchers scour rubble after gas explosion kills 7
- Golden Gate Bridge survivor speaks at Fresno State
- Applications for US jobless aid dip to 3-month low
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Fresno police connect vintage car thefts to guns, gangs