Pools in demand in the Central Valley
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Steady home construction is a sign the housing market is recovering, but that is not the only industry booming.
More and more Valley families are also taking the plunge and putting in backyard pools.
The sounds of concrete being poured is music to the ears of valley families begin to take the big step to put in a swimming pool. Crews shot gunite through high pressure hoses to help give shape to the pool.
Builders like Jason Metcalf of Stingray Custom Swimming Pools says the industry is recovery has mirrored that of the housing market.
"It slowed down really 09, 10 and 11 when it almost came to a standstill when we were barely surviving and now it's great. It's starting to bounce back again," Metcliff said.
For homeowners the big pour marks an exciting day because they can actually see how the pool fits into their yard. Metcalf has found more people are able to fit pools into their budget.
" There's not so much equity in the houses but homeowners are finding it easier now with the trust of the banks to get loans to put in luxury items like swimming pools here," Metcliff said.
The intense Valley heat poses a big challenge for crews. Workers keep cool water on hand and start their days about 6:30 a.m.
"If its 112 degrees its going to be impossible for us to pour concrete so we have to play it with mother nature a bit," Metcliff said.
Other pool builders say they have also noticed the increase in business and the subcontractors from tile and plastering to plumbers are busy too. It takes about six to eight weeks to have a swimming pool.
central valley, fresno, fresno county, local, dale yurong
- Deputies shoot, kill suspect west of Fresno
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested 42 min ago
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche 54 min ago
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 36 min ago
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Easter Brunch recipe
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos