Sanger family tied up in home invasion robbery
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Detectives are looking for several armed suspects after they tied up a family this morning and robbed them. It happened near the town of Sanger in Fresno County.
Tucked away in the middle of a grape vineyard, sheriff's deputies say the residents who live here got a frightening wakeup call Tuesday.
Just after 2 a.m., the family woke up to several men who spoke both Spanish and English demanding marijuana and money.
Chris Curtice with the Fresno County Sheriff's Office said, "Three masked, armed men entered the house, didn't appear to be any force but they got in someway."
Investigators say the men tied a mother, father, 21 year old and teenager up, while they took their valuables. They did allow a 17 month old baby to lie down unrestrained during the robbery.
Neighbors say on occasion the area has had some crime, including burglaries. But, the problems usually occurred when residents were away.
"It's actually pretty scary. It's crazy to think that somebody would actually go to that extent, especially out here, where I consider to be the middle of nowhere."
Deputies say the suspects believed there was a marijuana grow on the property. Behind the home is a large garage type building. Investigators say there wasn't any pot in the area, so the suspects settled for a little money and the family's 2003 blue Dodge Dakota pickup.
"The detectives found no evidence of an outdoor grow or any other illegal activity in the home so possibly, a mistaken home."
A security sign staked by the mailbox apparently didn't scare away the intruders. Neighbors say they already take several security steps to make sure they're safe.
"We already lock our gates and our doors. We have a really loud puppy, and I don't know what other precautions to take."
The suspects took several items from the home, before they left. Moments later, the victims managed to break free and contact police.
The 2003 stolen Dodge Dakota is still missing. It does have some unique characteristics. It's blue with a red stripe on the bottom and grey interior. The license plate number is 7P13279.
If you see the truck or the suspects please do not confront them, call 9-1-1. Investigators say they are armed and dangerous.
crimetracker, home invasion, marijuana, fresno county, sanger, local, sontaya rose
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Search resumes for missing Malaysian jetliner 56 min ago
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers 3 min ago
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap 33 min ago
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- Educators inspiring girls to pursue STEM jobs
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- School running: Keeping kids moving
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals 55 min ago
- Accuweather Forecast
26 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos