Arson investigation at Merced fireworks stand
MERCED, Calif. (KFSN) -- Authorities are investigating a case of arson in Merced, after someone set a fireworks stand on fire.
It happened at the Calvary Temple Church on Highway 59 near Cooper Avenue early Tuesday morning.
Volunteers say someone poured gasoline all over the front of the booth, but only a small area burned.
Firefighters credit witnesses with calling 9-1-1 and helping put out the flames before they did much damage.
This is the second time the booth has been targeted. Last year church members reported being robbed by masked men armed with shot guns.
The church has added extra security measures, including surveillance cameras, flood lights, and an armed guard overnight.
They refuse to shut down the stand because it raises money to buy food for low income families and to send kids to camp.
Anyone with information can leave a tip by calling 1-855-725-2420
local, sara sandrik
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet 11 min ago
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery 47 min ago
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Lions owner William Clay Ford dies at 88 21 min ago
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies