Man dies in North Valley due to heat
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Authorities in the North Valley are blaming the scorching heat for the death of a 77-year-old man.
Stanislaus County officials say the man died following several days of triple digit temperatures. Authorities are hoping this serves as a warning that people have to protect themselves in the heat.
Robert Chamberlain lived alone in this trailer home. His death is a tragic reminder of how dangerous the heat can be.
"It was a shock in one way, but it wasn't because, we just we are still kind of numb I think," said Lola Chamberlain.
Chamberlain was 77-years-old. He had a stroke a few years ago, and had limited mobility and got around on a motorized wheelchair. A maintenance man checking on the chamberlain on Tuesday saw that he was unresponsive and on the floor, so he called 911. Firefighters performed CPR, but it was too late.
Stanislaus County officials say his air conditioner was on, but it was not working properly so it was blowing hot air out at over 100 degrees. Neighbors who went to chamberlain's home after he was discovered say the heater was on.
"He probably got disoriented because it was hot and it's a trailer, must have turned heater on instead of A/C. That's what I'm thinking," said the victims neighbor, Vickie Spears.
Since the extreme heat isn't over yet County Officials are urging everyone to check on the elderly, disabled, and others who may be vulnerable to the heat.
fresno, fresno county, north valley, heat wave, local
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno 20 min ago
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender 3 min ago
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- California farmers to get more water
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in Texas
- Michaels Crafts data breach, nearly 3M compromised
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- Visalia approves limiting residents' water use
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- Photos: Easter traditions explained
- Accuweather Forecast
39 min ago
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
23 min ago
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex...
6 min ago