Man dies in North Valley due to heat
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Authorities in the North Valley are blaming the scorching heat for the death of a 77-year-old man.
Stanislaus County officials say the man died following several days of triple digit temperatures. Authorities are hoping this serves as a warning that people have to protect themselves in the heat.
Robert Chamberlain lived alone in this trailer home. His death is a tragic reminder of how dangerous the heat can be.
"It was a shock in one way, but it wasn't because, we just we are still kind of numb I think," said Lola Chamberlain.
Chamberlain was 77-years-old. He had a stroke a few years ago, and had limited mobility and got around on a motorized wheelchair. A maintenance man checking on the chamberlain on Tuesday saw that he was unresponsive and on the floor, so he called 911. Firefighters performed CPR, but it was too late.
Stanislaus County officials say his air conditioner was on, but it was not working properly so it was blowing hot air out at over 100 degrees. Neighbors who went to chamberlain's home after he was discovered say the heater was on.
"He probably got disoriented because it was hot and it's a trailer, must have turned heater on instead of A/C. That's what I'm thinking," said the victims neighbor, Vickie Spears.
Since the extreme heat isn't over yet County Officials are urging everyone to check on the elderly, disabled, and others who may be vulnerable to the heat.
fresno, fresno county, north valley, heat wave, local
- Final Crimea count: 97 percent back Russia
- Merced PD looks for witnesses to deadly shooting
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire
- Crash sends Fresno police car into canal
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Merced police seek help to catch armed robber
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast
- Consumer Reports: Skip extended car warranties
- Diamond 'Dogs swept by New Mexico
- 'Dogs women's, men's hoops set for postseason
- Oprah Winfrey to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
- Accuweather Forecast
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos