Thousands at Chuckchansi Stadium for July 4th
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- More than 11,000 people came out in their best red, white and blue attire to celebrate the nation's birthday, all while enjoying America's favorite pastime at Chukchansi Stadium.
"Make it a nice, fun day. It's July the 4th and free fireworks," said Jean Schwartz of Lemoore.
The 4th of July carries special meaning for Jean, who is stationed at Lemoore Naval Air Base. And while she was at Chukchansi Park to watch the Grizzlies take on the Sacramento River Cats, there was also another reason.
"I think the fireworks. I haven't seen fireworks in a while," said Jean.
And she was not the only one who came for the fireworks. Every year, Chukchansi Park puts on a free, 15 minute fireworks extravaganza said to be the biggest show in the Valley, and this year it did not disappoint one bit.
Although the hot weather was a concern for many, it did not keep people from turning out.
"The heat, it's incredible. It's very hot," said Michael visiting with his 2-year-old from Los Angeles. "Making sure he has a sippie cut. As long as it has ice water, he keeps drinking it," said Michael.
The misters on the concourse were also on full blast to help keep people cool.
local, carlos saucedo
- Woman killed in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting 7 min ago
- Man shot in upper torso in Parlier; 1 person detained
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse 17 min ago
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- Fresno residents can dispose of old tires for free
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Safeway to pay $2.25 million to settle lawsuit
- Girl Scout Cookie dessert recipes
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County...
42 min ago