Protesters of Zimmerman ruling gather in downtown Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- George Zimmerman's "not guilty" verdict brought out Valley demonstrators Monday.
Dozens of protestors took to the streets in Downtown Fresno. Many were angry with the verdict but it was a peaceful demonstration.
Demonstrators chanted and carried signs at the noon time rally outside the Federal Courthouse in Downtown Fresno.
Reverend Floyd Harris of The National Action Network says they came to protest George Zimmerman's acquittal in the death of Trayvon Martin.
you mean to tell me a harmless kid who did not have a weapon could sit up here could be gunned down, shot down like a piece of meat and there's no justice behind that?" said Rev. Floyd Harris with the National Action Network.
"This is nothing but hypocrisy right now in the American judicial system," said
MAPA President Juan Avitia noted some mothers brought their young children to the demonstration.
"In 10 years they could be Trayvon Martin walking down the street wearing a hoodie. Whether they're black, brown, Asian or a white kid with a hoodie. He could be profiled too and shot so we don't anybody's child to be a victim of that," Avitia said.
But Action News legal analyst Tony Capozzi says the Sanford jury made the right decision based on the evidence. He adds Zimmerman's legal battles may not be over with a possible civil lawsuit looming.
"I could see Trayvons family filing a lawsuit against Zimmerman and maybe against the neighborhood watch too. They may be held liable for Zimmerman's actions here," Capozzi said.
The U.S. Department of Justice is also looking into whether Trayvon Martin's civil rights were violated though Capozzi believes it would be difficult to get a conviction.
Another rally is planned for Thursday at 8 p.m. at the African-American Museum in Downtown Fresno.
fresno, fresno downtown, george zimmerman, trayvon martin, local, dale yurong
- Woman killed in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting 34 min ago
- Man shot in the chest in Parlier; 1 person detained 30 min ago
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse 54 min ago
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- Fresno residents can dispose of old tires for free
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Safeway to pay $2.25 million to settle lawsuit
- Girl Scout Cookie dessert recipes
- Man shot in the chest in Parlier; 1 person...
30 min ago