Los Banos community on edge after a shooting that left one dead
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Surveillance video captured the moments after a deadly shooting in the North Valley.
A homicide investigation is underway in Los Banos and detectives say a 17-year-old boy has died after being shot Saturday night. The shooting happened in a neighborhood near K Street and California Avenue.
Family members are trying to piece together what led up to the death of Bidal Taito. Investigators say he was in an alleyway not far from his home when he was shot. Authorities are working to figure out what happened in the moments leading up to the gunfire.
Surveillance cameras installed on a neighbor's house captured video of Los Banos police crowding around a wounded teenage boy. Police went to a call of shots fired just before 10 p.m. Saturday. Taito was transported by ambulance to a hospital where he later died.
Family members identified him as 17-year-old Bidal Taito, known as Tarzan to his friends.
"I'm devastated, I'm hurt. I mean every single thing you can feel," said Corina Taito the victim's mother.
Taito's mother said she is still trying to process what happened.
"He was an outgoing kid, he was funny, he was loud, he was very well liked, he was a happy kid," Corina Taito said.
On Sunday afternoon friends gathered outside Taito's home to create a memorial and pay tribute to their lost friend. Investigators say a suspect shot Taito from a home near the alleyway. Police say they have questioned the shooter, but so far have not arrested anyone.
"We don't believe there is any danger to the public, it's an isolated incident," said Sgt. Jason Hedden from the Los Banos Police department.
Neighbors who heard the gunfire are worried about violence so close to home.
Officers say the investigation is still underway. They are asking anyone with information to call Los Banos police.
los banos, north valley, homicide, shooting, local, mariana jacob
- Juvenile seriously injured in Planada shooting
- Lawsuit filed after arrest made in Elbow Room fight
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room
- Truck driver dies after pinned while making delivery in Fresno 9 min ago
- Pulmonary Rehab: Healing with music
- Derek Carr not on Heisman Trophy finalist list
- Surviving the mall's food court
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face US charges
- Selma High grad, Bobby Cox, elected to Hall of Fame
- 3 cars and FAX bus involved in crash
- Hanford man found dead inside a car in Armona
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Fresno man