Fresno County business evacuated due to gas leak
FRESNO COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- The gas leak happened Tuesday morning at Manning and Buttonwillow near Reedley.
Manning Avenue was closed down and two buildings were evacuated Tuesday morning because of the gas leak at Thiele Technologies. The road has since reopened, and workers are being allowed back into one of the buildings after Southern California Edison capped the leaking pipe.
Just before 7 a.m. Tuesday, the Reedley Fire department says about 130 workers evacuated the property after a company installing a sprinkler system hit a 2.5 inch gas line -- causing it to rupture.
Battalion Chief Tim Garrison said when he arrived, he could smell a strong gas odor coming from the area -- but the company's on-site safety team had already evacuated the two buildings.
Garrison said since the wind was blowing the gas into a nearby farm field, one building on the property will remain under evacuation for the rest of the day. No other businesses were affected.
"It took them about two hours to finally mitigate that leak. About two hours, 9 o'clock, it opened back up for business," said Garrison.
Garrison said the company installing the sprinkler system did not call the 811 number to get permission to dig -- so they could be held financially responsible for the gas leak, the response, and the impact to the business.
fresno county, reedley, parlier, gas line, local, linda mumma
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno 48 min ago
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Fresno teen with cystic fibrosis to get lung transplant
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys 20 min ago
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals 15 min ago
- Free health care enrollment fair held in...
48 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos