Los Banos police believe shooting victim wasn't alone
LOS BANOS (KFSN) -- Los Banos police are releasing new details about the shooting that left a teenager dead.
Investigators say a man called 9-1-1 to report a crime in progress -- moments before he shot a 17 year old in Los Banos this weekend.
Family members identify the victim as Bidal Taito. Los Banos police say they now want to talk to a second person who was with the victim the night of the shooting.
Friends and relatives washed cars and sold food Tuesday to raise money for the funeral of 17-year-old Bidal Taito.
Bidal Taito's mother, Corina said, "This is beyond words, beyond anything we could have ever thought would happen, and beyond words."
A small memorial now sits in the area where the teen was shot Saturday night. It's directly across from a home with three bullet holes through the door. Police say a man who lives here called 9-1-1 for help moments before he opened fire.
Commander Ray Reyna explained, "The 9-1-1 caller reported that he believed someone was attempting to kick in his front door."
Surveillance video from a neighbor's house shows officers and an ambulance arriving at the scene.
Investigators say the victim was shot once in the upper body, but are waiting on autopsy results before releasing more specific information. They're also hoping to interview a witness who could provide more answers.
Commander Reyna said, "We do believe the shooting victim was not alone that evening."
Detectives have not made an arrest because of the ongoing investigation. But Taito's family members want justice. They do not believe he's the one who may have been trying to break in to the shooter's house.
Corina added, "My son was shot in the back in an alleyway so I don't see what that has anything to do with him."
Again, this is an ongoing investigation, and officers are asking anyone with information to contact Los Banos police.
los banos, merced county, crimetracker, murder, homicide, local, sara sandrik
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law 13 min ago
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Toys for Tots needs just over 10k gifts to meet goal
- Tulare County opens fraud hotline
- Big Sur wildfire destroys fire chief's home
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $636 million
- 3 Fresno State Bulldogs named SI All-Americans Honorable Mentions
- Inmate escapes from Merced County Jail
- 1 dead 1 injured in Merced C.O. shooting
- Fighting the flu with exercise
29 min ago
- Valley schools prepare for new California...
13 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos