Fresno Housing Authority opens waiting list
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Fresno Housing Authority opened the waiting list for its housing choice voucher program for the first time in five years.
Hundreds of people showed up to the housing authority office in Downtown Fresno throughout the day -- to get on the pre-wait list for its rental assistance program. But many were turned away, because of a change in their application system.
The housing authority only accepts online applications now. The staff redirected applicants to the nearest public library to apply online, but even then, many applicants encountered challenges.
"As you can see, the computer is crashed and nobody can get through it," said housing voucher applicant, Frank Garcia. "So I think this is ridiculous, so why can't they just give everybody applications."
The agency had received more than 6,000 online applications within the first two hours. Thousands more were trying to log on, making the server unavailable due to the high volume of applicants.
housing, fresno, fresno county, local, carlos saucedo
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn 27 min ago
- Perez and Barrera found guilty of 1st degree murder
- California farmers to get more water 1 min ago
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in Texas
- Michaels Crafts data breach, nearly 3M compromised
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- Visalia approves limiting residents' water use
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Photos: Easter traditions explained