Fresno Housing Authority opens waiting list
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Fresno Housing Authority opened the waiting list for its housing choice voucher program for the first time in five years.
Hundreds of people showed up to the housing authority office in Downtown Fresno throughout the day -- to get on the pre-wait list for its rental assistance program. But many were turned away, because of a change in their application system.
The housing authority only accepts online applications now. The staff redirected applicants to the nearest public library to apply online, but even then, many applicants encountered challenges.
"As you can see, the computer is crashed and nobody can get through it," said housing voucher applicant, Frank Garcia. "So I think this is ridiculous, so why can't they just give everybody applications."
The agency had received more than 6,000 online applications within the first two hours. Thousands more were trying to log on, making the server unavailable due to the high volume of applicants.
housing, fresno, fresno county, local, carlos saucedo
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts 18 min ago
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Russian power play: Crimea vote on joining Russia
- Business leaders discuss drought impact
- Fresno man pleads guilty to murdering father
- Businessman announces run for Fresno City Council
- Free dental care to be offered in Fresno 27 min ago
- Who will be Mayor?
- Fresno shopping cart crackdown to cut crime?
18 min ago