Four female hikers missing 20 miles northeast of Huntington Lake
PRESS RELEASE (KFSN) -- The Fresno County Sheriff's Office is currently involved in the search for four women near Lake Italy, approximately 20 miles northeast of Huntington Lake.
Last night, shortly after 9:00pm, the Sheriff's Office received a 911 cell phone call from one of the hikers who advised that she, her mother, and two other females lost their sense of direction due to thick smoke from the Aspen Creek fire.
The phone call continued to drop but, with the use of the phones GPS, dispatch personnel were able to get an approximate location on the John Muir Trail between Lake Italy and Bear Creek. Further investigation led to family in Michigan where they obtained the hikers names and cell phone numbers.
The Sheriff's Office was assisted by the CHP helicopter "H40" and, at first light this morning, they responded to the area to search for the hikers. Due to thick smoke in the area, H40v was unable to search the area.
SAR personnel are currently being deployed into the area to search for the hikers. The search area is more than twenty miles from the Aspen Creek fire.
In the second incident, at about 10:00am, the Sheriff's Office received a report of a GPS emergency "spot activation" in the area of Lake Virginia, approximately 10 miles north of Lake Edison in northeastern Fresno County.
The Sheriff's Office learned that a father and son were hiking in the area when the father started having serious medical issues.
H40 responded and was able to extract the ill hiker. He was transported to a hospital in Mammoth, where his condition is unknown. The son chose to hike out of the area on his own.
The area where the hikers were located is also more than twenty miles from the Aspen creek fire.
missing person, huntington lake, local
- Crews search for Fresno man near Shaver Lake
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach over trash dispute
- Fresno police connect vintage car thefts to guns, gangs
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Almond crop expected to take a massive hit
- Honey oil explosion ends with felony arrest
- Enforcing water restrictions in Madera County and City
- Requests to carry concealed guns surges in Calif.
- Fresno State launches Good Samaritan Fund
- Teachers are in demand at VUSD
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- California seeks to dam 3 Delta channels