Pedestrian hit by several vehicles on Fresno freeway
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- An investigation is underway after a person was hit and killed by several vehicles in Central Fresno.
The incident happened shortly before 11 p.m. Sunday on the on-ramp from southbound Highway 99 to eastbound Highway 180.
CHP officials say a total of three vehicles hit a pedestrian. That person, who has not been identified, died at the scene.
Authorities say it's unclear how the victim ended up on the highway. "We do not know how the pedestrian came to be on those traffic lanes. There is no crosswalk or anything of that sort at that location," said Jose Nunez, California Highway Patrol.
Authorities say the drivers of all three vehicles stopped to help with the investigation and no charges are expected to be filed.
The onramp involved in the accident was closed for hours, but has since been reopened.
fresno, fresno county, fresno central, accident, local
- 3 boys missing in Dinuba 55 min ago
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Two injured in Madera drive-by shooting
- Foothill residents preparing for freezing temps
- US jobless claims drop to 316,000, as layoffs slow
- Video: Fresno's homeless search for shelter from...
- Serial college campus sex offender to be released soon
- Toys for Tots warehouse sits empty
- Tips to protect Fido from the freeze
- Freeze threatens unique tropical farm
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- 2 Men accused of firing 40 shots at law enforcement
- Wonder Woman cast for Batman and Superman film
- Autopsy: Walker died from impact, fire in crash