HCSO: Woman killed at northeast Harris County home; shooter planted knife on her to make it look like self-defense
HOUSTON -- A woman is dead and a man has been charged in her murder. Harris County Sheriff's Office deputies say evidence at the home pointed to self-defense, but the scene was apparently set up for them.
The fatal shooting happened around 1:30am Saturday in the 300 block of Greenbow near Lochness.
"She goes, 'We're not here to hurt anybody. I'm Donna Schumaker,'" the victim's brother, Tim Carter, said. "Before she can get the words out, [she was shot] point blank, right here."
According to investigators, Schumaker's friend had an ongoing roommate dispute and was in the process of moving out of his home. He brought her with him to gather some things from a storage yard near the house. Things went south when the roommate -- Charles Ivey -- confronted them.
"Apparently there were two roommates that weren't getting along. He was moving out and he brought a female friend with him. An argument ensued," HCSO Homicide Sgt. Robert Spurgeon said.
Schumaker, 41, was shot and died at the scene.
Investigators arrested Ivey, 32, and charged him with murder. They're also accusing him of trying to cover it up.
According to HCSO, Ivey initially claimed that Schumaker threatened him with a knife and he killed her in self-defense.
As the investigation continued this afternoon, detectives said Ivey admitted that Schumaker was unarmed. Ivey allegedly murdered Schumaker and then put the knife next to her body to make it look like he was defending himself.
"I would say it has some small town politics involved. That's about all I'd like to go on the record as saying," Carter said.
Friends, family and neighbors are in shock now over the murder and alleged cover-up.
"About 2:30 in the morning, people started running town, jumping fences, ringing phones just to tell us that Donna had been shot and killed," Carter said.
Ivey was charged with murder and booked into the Harris County Jail where he remained Saturday night.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, pooja lodhia
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Small Hmong farms losing crops to bitter cold
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- US unemployment falls from 7.3 to 7 percent
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Closing arguments in murder trial against paralegal
- Candlelight Christmas Tractor Parade and Wine Stroll
- Effort to complete Herndon bike trail underway
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Wanted Fresno burglar caught on camera
- Body of missing Delano woman found in canal
- Two injured in Madera drive-by shooting
- American teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- Fire Safety