Jean Hines Caldwell, mother of Houston Pastor Kirbyjon Caldwell, dies at 83
HOUSTON -- A veteran Houston educator and mother of a prominent local pastor died Sunday at age 83 after a long illness.
Jean Hines Caldwell was a native Houstonian and mother of Rev. Kirbyjon Caldwell of Windsor Village United Methodist Church.
Caldwell began her career as an audiologist with the Houston Independent School District. She also spent 38 years as a teacher and guidance counselor at Phillis Wheatley High School, her alma mater.
Even after retirement, Caldwell spent years mentoring young women around Houston and at Windsor Village.
In 2005, HISD named an elementary school in her honor. The Jean Hines Caldwell Elementary School is located at 5015 W. Orem Drive in southwest Houston.
Caldwell was married to well-known business owner and entrepreneur Booker T. Caldwell for 59 years. He preceded her in death in July 2011.
Caldwell is survived by her son, daughter Dorothea Pickens, five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
A celebration of life service will be held Tuesday at 7pm at the Kingdom Builders' Center, 6011 W. Orem Drive.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- USC defeats Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Man stabs his uncle in the neck in SE Fresno
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- Apartment fire displaces 8 people in SE Fresno
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Record number of manatee deaths reported in 2013
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Fresno Poverello House in need of toys for kids
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
abc30.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos