Jean Hines Caldwell, mother of Houston Pastor Kirbyjon Caldwell, dies at 83
HOUSTON -- A veteran Houston educator and mother of a prominent local pastor died Sunday at age 83 after a long illness.
Jean Hines Caldwell was a native Houstonian and mother of Rev. Kirbyjon Caldwell of Windsor Village United Methodist Church.
Caldwell began her career as an audiologist with the Houston Independent School District. She also spent 38 years as a teacher and guidance counselor at Phillis Wheatley High School, her alma mater.
Even after retirement, Caldwell spent years mentoring young women around Houston and at Windsor Village.
In 2005, HISD named an elementary school in her honor. The Jean Hines Caldwell Elementary School is located at 5015 W. Orem Drive in southwest Houston.
Caldwell was married to well-known business owner and entrepreneur Booker T. Caldwell for 59 years. He preceded her in death in July 2011.
Caldwell is survived by her son, daughter Dorothea Pickens, five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
A celebration of life service will be held Tuesday at 7pm at the Kingdom Builders' Center, 6011 W. Orem Drive.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180 26 min ago
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Fresno man pleads guilty to murdering father 19 min ago
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations
- Russian power play: Crimea vote on joining Russia
- Business leaders discuss drought impact
- Businessman announces run for Fresno City Council
- Murderer apologizes for killing pregnant woman
- Mother of 2-year-old that died faces felony charges
- Who will be Mayor?
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway...
28 min ago