Fresno family wins energy makeover from Allbritten
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Back in June we told you about a Valley company's contest for a home energy makeover. Now a Fresno family's home will be comfortable and cool for the first time in 17 years.
Sealing the attic and adding insulation is just the beginning. Rhonda Thomas' house is undergoing an energy makeover. The air conditioning unit hasn't worked in 17 years.
She explained, "It's been kind of hard on our family because we kind of just retreat to our room. We've got some window units but they're ridiculously expensive."
Rhonda and her family were selected by Allbritten Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning for the makeover. A company contest drew over 100 nominations. So many needy people but the Thomas family stood out. Rhonda's son JJ has cerebral palsy while her husband Steve is in the hospital battling a rare cancer.
Allbritten general manager Dave Guerra said the goal was, "Being able to help them get their house ready so they always have someplace to live and to always be able to have a place to live that they can afford."
Rhonda had no idea the family was nominated by her church "The Well." "I'm still shocked. I couldn't believe it when they called."
Church members made a ramp which helped move in the new heating unit. Allbritten workers couldn't wait to get started. Guerra said, "They want to volunteer their time. They want to be here."
Not only will Rhonda and her family enjoy a cool home, their pets will be more comfortable including Sage the chinchilla.
No more electric fans or portable a/c units in the window. Rhonda said, "I think my kids are going to happy because I won't be yelling at them. I hear that thing kick on, "Why do you have them on?"
Allbritten will also patch the family's leaky roof.
energy, fresno, fresno county, local, dale yurong
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Local heroes honored for bravery in Fresno
- Fresno Co. supervisors OK preliminary marijuana ban
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- $20 thousand reward for missing Fresno man
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
- Uruguay legalizes sale, production of marijuana
- Warming tent setup for homeless in Merced County
- Debate on Fresno's water rate hike gets heated
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Lemoore Naval Air Station pilots return home
- Fatal Planada shooting alarmingly similar to another
- Sonic apologizes for racist sign
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Don't wait until the New Year to get fit
23 min ago