Fresno grandfather wins $650,000 in California Lottery
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Retired auto mechanic John Nieblas spent a buck on a California Lucky for Life Scratchers ticket and came up a big winner.
According to California Lottery officials, Nieblas had the winning ticket for nearly two weeks before turning it in.
"I didn't know what to think. So I had to wait and have both my grandson and my son look at (the winning ticket) to tell me it was real. And when they told me it's true, I jumped up and yelled!" said Nieblas, with a big laugh.
Nieblas purchased his winning ticket at Family Express on Butler Avenue at Cedar Avenue. Lottery officials said Nieblas plans to use the winnings to open his own auto repair shop. "It's still hard to believe to this day that it's true."
fresno, fresno county, fresno southeast, lottery, local
- I-5 over the Grapevine and HWY 58 closed due to snow
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Police increase patrols on Fulton Mall after shooting
- Valley utility workers gear up for freezing weather
- History of snow in Fresno and Porterville
- Madera man accused of murder faces unique circumstances
- Good Sports: Coach Mark Rogers
- Red Wave Gets To See Carr One Last Time
- Tips to keep cars running during cold weather
- Three missing Dinuba children found safe