Police pursuit ends with crash in Northeast Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno police say they have arrested the man who wounded an innocent bystander and crashed into a Northeast Fresno home.
Investigators say the incident began with a pursuit which ended at a cul-de-sac near Roberts and 10th in Fresno. Police say the driver was suspected to have been driving under the influence. They say he crashed into a woman pinned her down and broke her leg.
First responders arrived minutes after investigators say a driver ran over a Fresno woman, and then slammed into an apartment.
Fresno police say the suspect failed to yield to an officer just before 6:30 p.m. Friday evening. After the suspect failed to yield to police a pursuit began. But soon after investigators say they called off the chase after they felt the suspect was driving too fast. Witnesses say the driver lost control and plowed into an innocent bystander.
"The individual who caused this accident appeared to be driving under the influence and he is arrested for multiple charges," Lt. Jose Garza with the Fresno Police Department said.
Action News spoke to a witness who did not want to be identified and told us he tried to stop the driver.
"The guy who was in the car tried to get out and I tried to hold him from not getting out I ended up pushing him on the ground and he ended up running," the witness said.
Police say the suspect tried to fight back and that is when they tazed him. Soon after the suspect was tazed neighbors jumped in and tried to rescue the victim.
"It took several of us, 5 or 6, 7 or 8 of us to try pull the car off her, I hope she's okay," the witness said.
Although everyone we spoke with was horrified by what they witnessed, they are grateful no one else was hurt.
"I was so amazed how so many came together and they literally lifted the car off her," the witness said.
The woman who lives in the apartment that the car crashed into was displaced, but Action News was told her landlord found her somewhere else to stay.
Police say the woman who was pinned down is expected to be okay.
fresno, fresno county, fresno southeast, local, mariana jacob
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove 37 min ago
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno 25 min ago
- Freeze affects Valley's $1.5 billion citrus industry
- Fresno auto shops build next Wheels of Hope car
- Derek Carr not on Heisman Trophy finalist list
- Surviving the mall's food court
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face US charges
- Selma High grad, Bobby Cox, elected to Hall of Fame
- 3 cars and FAX bus involved in crash
- Hanford man found dead inside a car in Armona
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Fresno man
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela
- Accuweather Forecast
22 min ago
- Pilot in makes hard landing in Madera Co...
41 min ago
- Man nearly kills two in Central Fresno...
40 min ago