Reports say man to be sentenced for fatal hit-and-run not at fault
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Merced County man is about to go to jail or prison for his involvement in a deadly crash. But a police report says he didn't cause the crash.
The crash killed 18-year-old National Guard Soldier Fernando Buenrostro in March. Action news got the first interview with the parents of the defendant, Jesse Fuentes.
For the fourth time, the fate of Jesse Fuentes Jr., has been postponed. The 24-year-old does not deny killing at reservist Fernando Buenrostro Jr., back in March.
Fuentes pleaded guilty to hit-and-run just two months after the crime. But his family says Fuentes deserves some lenience.
"We're extremely sorry about the family's loss but they're putting my son out to be a monster," said the defendant's father, Jesse Fuentes, Sr.
The police report on the crash says Buenrostro deserves some of the blame for the crash. Witnesses say he ran a stop sign on his motorized scooter right before Fuentes hit him. Instead of helping the man he just hit, Fuentes kept driving, despite knowing what he had done.
"My son was totally wrong for not stopping," said Fuentes, Sr. "I don't know why he didn't stop. It could've happened to anyone."
Police arrested Fuentes four days after the crash as the Buenrostro family had just begun to grieve.
"My closure with my son and with family that's already been taken care of, you know we're grieving and he's in our hearts," said the victim's father Fernando Buenrostro, Sr.
Fuentes is scheduled to be sentenced in two weeks. The most he can get is four years in prison. The probation department recommended one year in jail.
merced, merced county, hit and run, local, corin hoggard
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Heart of the Horse is expanding
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Calwa Catholics mark Good Friday with procession
- Health Watch: depressed preschoolers?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos