Family suffers heart breaking loss after toddler drinks baby oil
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Valley toddler who was hospitalized after drinking baby oil has died.
Mya Rose Caldera died after undergoing weeks of treatment at Stanford Medical Center. Family members say Mya Rose was only 14-months-old when she died. Her parents are heartbroken because they say it only took a split second of turning away for the little girl to drink the baby oil.
Mya's little pig tails and big round eyes are a beautiful and a painful memory for her father Manuel Caldera.
"My daughter, I never seen a baby so joyful, smiling like 24/7," Caldera said.
On Saturday morning many others who also loved Mya Rose turned up to raise money to help bury the little girl.
"We were already talking about her going to college; we are going to try save money to do that. I never believed this would happen. We just miss her a lot," Caldera said.
In June soon after giving Mya a bath her mother, Krysta Vindiola, was cleaning their home. Vindiola said she kept checking in on the toddler, who was playing in another room.
"Went to check on her maybe not five minutes later I went to check on her again and I noticed she had all her lotions and baby oils out and I saw her shirt was all full of baby oil," Vindiola said.
Vindiola sensed something was wrong but at first Mya seemed to be okay. However, later on during the night Mya started throwing up.
"She started breathing differently and she never does that, and she started throwing up chunks, so we got really worried and that's when we rushed her to the hospital," Caldera said.
Mya was taken to Children's Hospital of Central California. When Mya did not show signs of getting better, she was rushed to Stanford Medical Center. Her father says the baby oil coated her small lungs and made it difficult for her to breathe. In the hospital Mya also got pneumonia and after weeks of holding onto hope, she passed away.
Mya's father said he lost his job while he was at his daughter's bedside. The family now has a lot of bills to pay and they are struggling with funeral expenses.
There is also a bank account set up to help the grieving family.
Donations accepted at Bank of America care of Ramona Caldera 000631002513
fresno, fresno county, local, mariana jacob
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County 43 min ago
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals 59 min ago
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving...
47 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos