One year later; Nicole Jones remembered
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Family members gathered for a vigil Sunday night to mark the one year anniversary of a local teenager's murder.
Nicole Jones was 18-years-old when she was shot to death last August in Central Fresno. Investigators say she was an innocent bystander.
If Nicole Jones was alive today, she would have been 19-years-old. Family members are just hoping the person who investigators say took her life spends the rest of his life in prison.
Letting go isn't easy for anyone who knew and loved Nicole Jones.
"It's been hell, trying to live everyday without her is hard. You are so used to having that person for 18 years, and all of a sudden she's gone," said Rose Robles, Nicole's mother.
On Sunday night, her mother joined close family and friends to pay tribute to Jones' short life. Many here wore t-shirts honoring the Hoover High graduate.
"It brings back all those memories and you can't help it you talk to her and you can't hear her anymore, you can't see her anymore and that's hard," said Kylie Rose, Nicole's friend.
Tony Leon is accused of murder and attempted murder after shooting her and another person last August. Investigators say he fired one shot from a sawed off shotgun.
Witnesses said Leon's girlfriend had a fight with another woman that day. They told police, the man known as "Gangster" left the area, and came back with the gun. "When he went to that place with a loaded gun and shot that gun he took a part of us. He didn't just take Nicole. He took a huge part of us," said Rose Robles.
Detectives say the shot he fired hit Nicole and the another person who were a block away. Now, the teenager's family want Leon behind bars for life.
"No mother should have to go through this, no mother. Your kids are supposed to bury you," said Rose Robles.
Officers also arrested another man, Joshua Woodwarth, who they say tried to hide the gun after the shooting.
Leon is expected back in court on September 19th.
fresno, fresno central, fresno county, murder, shooting, local, mariana jacob
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Homicide investigated at Porterville Developmental Center
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- Valley business gear up for next Fresno State game
- FUSD improves nationally but still behind peers
- Wood burning contributes to bad air quality in the Valley
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- Health Watch: Pinpointing prostate cancer
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos