Two-alarm fire destroys one business and damages others in Mendota
MENDOTA, Calif. (KFSN) -- A fast-moving fire destroyed one business and damaged others Monday morning in Mendota. Flames consumed the Dollar City Store destroying the building.
"It appears the Dollar City Store was a complete loss. The roof did collapse in on itself approximately one hour into the fire," said Vince Bergland, Cal Fire Fresno County Battalion Chief.
Officials say the fire burned so fast that it spread to Pacifica Pizza nearby before they could get it under control. The 99 Cents Store and More was also damaged by water.
"It's very sad, very sad. Here are some people that their businesses are gone," Mendota Mayor Pro Tem Joseph Amador said.
Local leaders say the fire is not only devastating to the business owners, but impacts the city as well.
"And people that are employed there are out of a job now and for a small community like ours, where we are economically struggling. This is going to be something that hurts us," Amador said.
The fire could mean less sales tax revenue for the city, but leaders say they are also thinking about the owners who have been a community partner.
"The businessmen that work so hard to stay alive and of course this is going to affect them. I just hope they have some other plans to expand some place in Mendota," Mendota Mayor Robert Silva said.
Over the years, the town has seen businesses come and go, this time they are hoping it is different.
"We hope and pray that insurance, if they have insurance, that they rebuild and reopen," Amador said.
mendota, fresno county, fire, local, amanda venegas
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident 39 min ago
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Unemployment rises to 6.7 percent in February 47 min ago
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Con man steals millions from elderly
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Photos: 16th-century 'rocket cat' weaponry pictures
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Growers discuss issues at Citrus Showcase
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations
- Russian power play: Crimea vote on joining Russia
- George Radanovich to announce he won't run for governor