Fatal stabbing outside Ewell's Place caught on surveillance video
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Surveillance video shows the punches thrown moments before a 31-year-old was fatally stabbed outside a Fresno bar.
The murder happened Wednesday night around 8:45 right across the street from Manchester Center.
Surveillance video obtained by Action News shows the victim trying to get away from a man wearing a white t-shirt who punches him in the parking lot. A friend, who tries to rush to his aid, is kept back by someone else.
The fight moves to the corner, where the swinging continues until the victim, Michael Tunnell is stabbed and collapses on the sidewalk.
Mark Salazar with the Fresno Police Department said, "There were numerous witnesses, some that did see it, some that didn't see it-maybe heard it. So we've been doing that all night long. We do have some leads were following up on. We don't think it was a random act."
Investigators are now analyzing the video to see different angles of the parking lot and sidewalk.
The cameras show after the stabbing, the suspect and another man hurried to a car in the parking lot and immediately left. Two women also took off, along with a man in a white truck with a dog.
Police are still trying to figure out why the victim and his friend pulled into the bar, since they were expected somewhere else.
"From what we know they were going to have a meeting. They were headed to another part of the city. For whatever reason, they went to Ewells, at that point they got into a disturbance."
Police say the victim is part of a motorcycle club, but it's not considered a gang.
crimetracker, stabbing, murder, fresno, fresno central, fresno county, local, sontaya rose
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- Candlelight Christmas Tractor Parade and Wine Stroll 59 min ago
- Effort to complete Herndon bike trail underway
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Wanted Fresno burglar caught on camera
- Body of missing Delano woman found in canal
- Two injured in Madera drive-by shooting
- American teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- US economy grows at 3.6 percent rate in 3rd quarter
- Foothill residents preparing for freezing temps
- US jobless claims drop to 316,000, as layoffs slow
- Fire Safety
48 min ago