Police say 2 injured in Southwest Fresno drive-by shooting
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police are searching for suspects in a double shooting in Southwest Fresno.
The shooting happened around 2 p.m. in the area of Fruit and Hawes in Fresno. Fresno police closed several blocks off in the neighborhood. Police say the shooting happened on Fruit Avenue. Investigators found several shell casings spread along the street.
Two men in their 20's are being treated for gunshot wounds to their legs. The victims were driven by friends or relatives to Community Regional Medical Center, where they are listed now in good condition. Fresno police say their attackers shot at them from a passing car while they were either in the street or on the sidewalk.
Based on evidence it appears three separate guns were fired.
"We don't know if the victims themselves exchanged rounds with the vehicle or occupants in the vehicle at this point we're still looking into that." Sgt. Carlos Frausto with the Fresno Police Department said. "And we are also looking into the possibility that the apartment they were in front of is their place of residence."
Witnesses say a black car was seen speeding away from the scene. The CHP helicopter spotted a silver car speeding away from the area. Police found the silver car about a mile from the crime scene.
Police found a gun in the silver car, but it is not clear yet on whether or not that is the shooter's car.
The shooting happened outside the Edison Bethune Charter Academy. The school was placed on lockdown, but only faculty was on campus since school does not begin until Monday.
Police are working with gang investigators to determine if the incident is gang-related. Police also say the two victims are not being cooperative with detectives.
fresno, shooting, crimetracker, local, rick montanez
- Obama: Sanctions show costs to Russia on Crimea
- Sonic robbed at gunpoint in Clovis
- Merced PD looks for witnesses to deadly shooting
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids
- Large fire burns abandoned home in Central Fresno
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- Teen mom speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Final Crimea count: 97 percent back Russia
- Los Angeles police get loaner Lamborghini
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire
- Crash sends Fresno police car into canal
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Merced police seek help to catch armed robber
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos