4 dead after a train and vehicle collide south of Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Four people are dead and one person is injured after a train collided with a vehicle at Golden State and Jefferson Avenue in the area between Fresno and Fowler.
The crash happened around 2 a.m. Monday morning. Officials say the train was traveling 40 miles per hour when the collision happened. It is unclear what led to the collision, but authorities say one man and two women died at the scene. Another two people were taken to the hospital -- and one of those people later died.
"From what we can see and have investigated so far, all lighting equipment was active on the train. A horn was sounded prior to approaching the intersection, from there on out we're still looking into why the collision occurred and why the vehicle decided to go across the tracks," said Jose Nunez, California Highway Patrol.
Investigators say because it was a private crossing, there was no warning equipment installed. It's unknown if alcohol or drugs played a role in this fatal collision. The female driver was transported to a local hospital. Investigators plan to interview her later.
Stay with Action News and ABC30.com for more on this story.
fresno county, fresno southeast, fowler, traffic, accident, local
- Authorities investigate a shooting in Madera County 51 min ago
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case 52 min ago
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Cornell president named new head of Smithsonian
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building
- Toddler uses FaceTime to help mom after dog bite
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed