Fatal Las Vegas carjacking may have Valley ties
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A crash after a carjacking in Las Vegas has left one person dead and another injured, the victims may have Valley ties.
Police say a man carjacked two visitors from California at a Las Vegas hotel Sunday. Both victims were in the bed of the truck as the suspect sped away and later crashed.
One of the men was killed, and the other is in critical condition. Sources tell Action News the two victims have ties to the South Valley.
Las Vegas police say the suspect carjacked the victims at the Flamingo Hotel Valet then drove three miles, running three red lights before colliding with an SUV.
"The subjects in the back of the bed of the truck were ejected. One was pronounced dead at the scene, the other was transported to UMC with life threatening injuries," said Capt. Brett Primas with the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department.
Investigators say victims of the carjacking were loading the bed of their truck in the valet area of the Flamingo Hotel around 10:45 a.m. Sunday. The suspect then jumped into the driver's seat.
"As this occurred the other victim who was standing outside the truck jumps into the bed of the truck and the suspect then drove west on Flamingo," Capt. Primas said.
Police have not released the name of the suspect in the case or any details about the victims.
"They were just here visiting, don't know any particulars at this point, and again with all due respect for the victims' family I do not want to get into it at this time," Capt. Primas said.
The intersection where the crash happened was closed for several hours and police say they have a lot more investigating to do.
"We are obtaining video and have many scenes to process. Right now it is a grand larceny investigation," Capt. Primas said.
Police say the suspect is under guard at a hospital Sunday night as the investigation continues. His condition has not been released. Three people in the SUV were treated for minor injuries.
las vegas, carjacking, local
- California seeks to dam 3 Delta channels 27 min ago
- 2 NYC buildings collapse, 2 dead, others missing 52 min ago
- Gaza militants fire large rocket barrage at Israel
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Arrest made in Tulare Co officer-involved shooting
- Fresno County man arrested after running from deputies
- Scammers nearly took a Merced woman for big cash
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases