Jury finds Kathryn Ellis guilty of murdering her husband, Robert, last September
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Kingsburg woman will spend the rest of her life in prison after a jury found her guilty of murdering her husband for money.
The verdict came quickly Wednesday afternoon, after less than two hours of deliberations, and it brought Kathryn Ellis to tears.
The 49-year-old called 9-1-1 last September to report her husband had been shot.
She claimed they'd heard an intruder, so Robert Ellis went to check on it, while she hid in the bathroom. But prosecutors say the family was under financial strain and Kathryn Ellis pulled the trigger herself to cash in on her husband's life insurance. She'd even tried to get more insurance behind his back.
"She was waiting for him to doze off while he was laying on his side watching the Big Bang Theory in the living room," said Prosecutor Stephanie Savrnoch. "And as he laid there, she walked around the couch and she shot him, bang!"
Ellis will be sentenced next month, but she faces a mandatory sentence of life without the possibility of parole.
crimetracker, murder, shooting, kingsburg, fresno county, local, corin hoggard
- USC defeats Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Man stabs his uncle in the neck in SE Fresno
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- Apartment fire displaces 8 people in SE Fresno
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Record number of manatee deaths reported in 2013
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Fresno Poverello House in need of toys for kids
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos