Jury finds Kathryn Ellis guilty of murdering her husband, Robert, last September
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Kingsburg woman will spend the rest of her life in prison after a jury found her guilty of murdering her husband for money.
The verdict came quickly Wednesday afternoon, after less than two hours of deliberations, and it brought Kathryn Ellis to tears.
The 49-year-old called 9-1-1 last September to report her husband had been shot.
She claimed they'd heard an intruder, so Robert Ellis went to check on it, while she hid in the bathroom. But prosecutors say the family was under financial strain and Kathryn Ellis pulled the trigger herself to cash in on her husband's life insurance. She'd even tried to get more insurance behind his back.
"She was waiting for him to doze off while he was laying on his side watching the Big Bang Theory in the living room," said Prosecutor Stephanie Savrnoch. "And as he laid there, she walked around the couch and she shot him, bang!"
Ellis will be sentenced next month, but she faces a mandatory sentence of life without the possibility of parole.
crimetracker, murder, shooting, kingsburg, fresno county, local, corin hoggard
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys 47 min ago
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County 26 min ago
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals 42 min ago
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving...
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos