Fatal traffic accident in Fresno involving bicyclist
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Investigators were on the scene piecing it together a fatal accident that happened in a Central Fresno alleyway. Police say two officers that patrol the area, stopped two suspicious men on bicycles on the corner of Glenn and Princeton.
The accident happened around 7:30 p.m. on Del Mar Avenue near Harvard and Brown in Central Fresno. After the officers stopped the men, one of the men took off in his bike. At that point, one officer stayed with the other man the other got in his car pursued the bicyclist for about three Blocks.
The police officer chased the man down an alleyway and ended up hitting the man and killing him on scene.
"We don't know why the man fled from the officer initially and we certainly don't know at this point how the collision occurred. We're going to be looking it, what we do know is that it's an unfortunate tragedy," Police Chief Jerry Dyer said.
Police say the suspect was in his 30's. The police chief says both officers were veterans on the squad.
The officer that was behind the wheel was questioned Friday night, and will be placed on paid administrative leave as part of standard procedure.
local, anthony pura
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Homicide investigated at Porterville Developmental Center
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- Valley business gear up for next Fresno State game
- FUSD improves nationally but still behind peers
- Wood burning contributes to bad air quality in the Valley
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- Health Watch: Pinpointing prostate cancer
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos