Fatal traffic accident in Fresno involving bicyclist
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Investigators were on the scene piecing it together a fatal accident that happened in a Central Fresno alleyway. Police say two officers that patrol the area, stopped two suspicious men on bicycles on the corner of Glenn and Princeton.
The accident happened around 7:30 p.m. on Del Mar Avenue near Harvard and Brown in Central Fresno. After the officers stopped the men, one of the men took off in his bike. At that point, one officer stayed with the other man the other got in his car pursued the bicyclist for about three Blocks.
The police officer chased the man down an alleyway and ended up hitting the man and killing him on scene.
"We don't know why the man fled from the officer initially and we certainly don't know at this point how the collision occurred. We're going to be looking it, what we do know is that it's an unfortunate tragedy," Police Chief Jerry Dyer said.
Police say the suspect was in his 30's. The police chief says both officers were veterans on the squad.
The officer that was behind the wheel was questioned Friday night, and will be placed on paid administrative leave as part of standard procedure.
local, anthony pura
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- 10 more bodies found inside sunken ferry by divers
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Credit card skimming device found at gas station
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Singer Juan Gabriel released from Vegas hospital
- Easter Brunch recipe