Fatal traffic accident in Fresno involving bicyclist
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Investigators were on the scene piecing it together a fatal accident that happened in a Central Fresno alleyway. Police say two officers that patrol the area, stopped two suspicious men on bicycles on the corner of Glenn and Princeton.
The accident happened around 7:30 p.m. on Del Mar Avenue near Harvard and Brown in Central Fresno. After the officers stopped the men, one of the men took off in his bike. At that point, one officer stayed with the other man the other got in his car pursued the bicyclist for about three Blocks.
The police officer chased the man down an alleyway and ended up hitting the man and killing him on scene.
"We don't know why the man fled from the officer initially and we certainly don't know at this point how the collision occurred. We're going to be looking it, what we do know is that it's an unfortunate tragedy," Police Chief Jerry Dyer said.
Police say the suspect was in his 30's. The police chief says both officers were veterans on the squad.
The officer that was behind the wheel was questioned Friday night, and will be placed on paid administrative leave as part of standard procedure.
local, anthony pura
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed 15 min ago
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Marketplace at El Paseo holds grand opening
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
- Hip surgery complication: Uneven limbs
- Video: Take a tour of the 'smartphone home'
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident
- Accuweather Forecast
29 min ago