Tulare man suspected of killing his grandfather
TULARE, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Tulare man was arrested Monday and is suspected of murdering his grandfather. Investigators say the case started out as a missing persons report. The suspect, 28-year-old Rock Rowland, was wanted for a stabbing in Fresno on Wednesday and that may have been the root of an argument with his grandfather.
Rowland was arrested Monday for his grandpa's murder. Family members say they are heartbroken by the tragedy.
Police say 77-year old Donald Lee Rowland, known by neighbors, family and friends as "Mr. Moon" or simple "Moon," was first reported missing on Saturday. When officers arrived at his house in Tulare they found him murdered, and believe his grandson committed the crime.
"I know it was reported that day and thru that missing person's investigation is when we discovered the victim," Sgt. Darron Altermatt with the Tulare Police Department said.
Family members called him "Moon," which was also part of the name of a bar he owned in Tulare several years ago. They say Rowland lived with Rock at his home and though the two would often argue, "Moon" always had a soft spot for his grandson.
"Just surprising we didn't ever imagine it never, there wasn't one negative thing they did to us," Rosemarie Jimenez, the victim's neighbor said.
"I seen them together pretty much and the garage was always open," Lisa Sanchez, the victims neighbor said.
The murder marks the third so far this year in Tulare, and the second in just three days. On Thursday a 30-year-old man was found shot to death on B Street. Detectives are still looking for the suspect.
Family members say they are still shocked by everything. The son of the victim say he feels like he lost his dad and his son at the same time.
tulare, tulare county, murder, crimetracker, local, jessica peres
- Ryan Rodriquez found safe in Fresno County 40 min ago
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2 2 min ago
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- Merced Co. District Attorney Warns of IRS Phone Scam
- Grieving Merced husband and father talks to ABC30 7 min ago
- 3 rescued from Fresno apartment fire 53 min ago
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Farmers markets hit by freeze
- Fresno Co. supervisors OK preliminary marijuana ban
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Man shot several times in Central Fresno
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos