Major multi-agency gang sweep hits streets in the Fresno area
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A major multi-agency sweep started Saturday in the Fresno area, after a spike in gang violence.
About 50 federal, state and local law enforcement officers are cracking down on gang members throughout the Fresno area. They say they are seeing an increase of guns in the hands of criminals on Fresno streets.
At about 9 p.m. Saturday a Fresno police officer pulled over a car near Olive and Fruit and that officer was quickly backed up by the MAGEC Gang Task Force.
Fresno County deputies say the four men in the car are suspected gang members, and after searching the car they found a gun hidden inside. Deputies say they are seeing a spike in criminals breaking into people's homes specifically to steal their guns.
"There has been a big increase in gang violence, firearms used robberies, other violent crimes and that's why we try to take people to jail and cut down on the violent crime down here," Sgt. Jose Salinas with the Fresno County Sheriff's Office said.
This is the fourth major sweep the gang task force has spearheaded this summer. About 50 members from different agencies including the FBI, Fresno and Clovis police partnered up Saturday night in high crime areas such as the area near Bulldog Lane and Sixth Street in Fresno.
As of Saturday night around 10 p.m. deputies made 10 felony arrests. Deputies plan to continue cracking down on gang members throughout Saturday night and into early Sunday morning.
fresno, fresno county, local, mariana jacob
- Community bands together for Officer Jon Linzey
- High court upholds Delta Smelt protection
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well
- More than 400 guns were seized in SoCal
- Family headed to DC for father's Medal of Honor
- Valley Sikhs speak out on bullying report
- Police fight spike in Tower District crime
- Peach Blossom Festival growing each year
- Merced authorities see rise in honey oil explosions
- Musical mavericks make waves
- Pet Adoption of the Week: Lady Bug
- Fallout from Target's data breach
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno