Police arrest woman for 2011 death of 1-year-old Livingston boy
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police have made an arrest in the death of a 1-year-old Livingston boy that happened back in 2011.
Police arrested 48-year-old Maria Sixtos De Los Angeles in her Delhi home Friday Morning.
In 2011, police say Sixtos was living in Livingston and babysitting a 15-month-old toddler when he died in her care. Sixtos told police it was an accident, but police were suspicious at the time because they believed the child had injuries to the head.
The investigation stalled because the forensic pathologist at the coroner's office abruptly left and never finished the report. The forensic pathologist returned last year and completed the report and gave to police in May.
Detectives say they could not act without that report. Neighbors say they remembered the boy's death but always believed it was an accident.
"She said she was babysitting this child. She said he was the child of someone her daughter worked with at the clinic here in Livingston and it was the first time she was taking care of him," Anne Land, a neighbor said.
Police say during the arrest, Sixtos admitted to getting angry at the boy and throwing him into a couch. She is being held behind bars on $1 million bond. Sixtos is charged with assault on a child causing death and willful injury to a child.
livingston, delhi, crimetracker, local
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Missing jet flew for 6+ hours after contact drop
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children
- Man arrested after Hanford drug and weapons bust 29 min ago
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea 14 min ago
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans 3 min ago
- Chowchilla Western Stampede attracts visitors
- Merced County marijuana grow lands man in jail
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach
- Fresno kidnap, sex assault suspect changes plea
- 8 kids, 4 adults involved in SW Fresno crash
- Good Sports: Clovis High baseball
- ABC30's Stephanie Stone welcomes baby girl
52 min ago