Police arrest woman for 2011 death of 1-year-old Livingston boy
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police have made an arrest in the death of a 1-year-old Livingston boy that happened back in 2011.
Police arrested 48-year-old Maria Sixtos De Los Angeles in her Delhi home Friday Morning.
In 2011, police say Sixtos was living in Livingston and babysitting a 15-month-old toddler when he died in her care. Sixtos told police it was an accident, but police were suspicious at the time because they believed the child had injuries to the head.
The investigation stalled because the forensic pathologist at the coroner's office abruptly left and never finished the report. The forensic pathologist returned last year and completed the report and gave to police in May.
Detectives say they could not act without that report. Neighbors say they remembered the boy's death but always believed it was an accident.
"She said she was babysitting this child. She said he was the child of someone her daughter worked with at the clinic here in Livingston and it was the first time she was taking care of him," Anne Land, a neighbor said.
Police say during the arrest, Sixtos admitted to getting angry at the boy and throwing him into a couch. She is being held behind bars on $1 million bond. Sixtos is charged with assault on a child causing death and willful injury to a child.
livingston, delhi, crimetracker, local
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe