Fresno man found guilty of raping and killing a 14-year-old girl
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Fresno jury convicted Eddie Nealy of the rape and murder of a 14-year-old girl. Now they'll have to decide if he should be put to death for the nearly 30-year-old crimes.
Nealy was found guilty of first degree murder and rape. Prosecutors say DNA found on the victim, Jody Wolfe, proves Nealy's guilt. But Nealy's attorney says his client had consensual sexual contact with the girl, but did not kill her.
Nealy has two previous rape convictions. That is information being kept from the jury now. But the death penalty phase of the trial allows for more information to go on record.
"Anything gets to come in, within certain reasons," said Defense Attorney Eric Green. "But prior convictions, evidence of prior convictions, that type of thing gets to come in without limitation."
This is Fresno's first death penalty case five in years.
Investigators only caught up to Nealy in 2004, almost 20 years after Wolfe was raped and killed.
Evidence of the actual murder is scarce, which leaves the defense stunned by Wednesday's verdict.
Nealy will be back in court Tuesday morning, where prosecutors will open their case to convince the jurors that he should be put to death.
crimetracker, murder, sex crimes, fresno, fresno county, local, rick montanez
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno 33 min ago
- I-5 over the Grapevine and HWY 58 now open
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Police increase patrols on Fulton Mall after shooting
- Valley utility workers gear up for freezing weather
- History of snow in Fresno and Porterville 26 min ago
- Madera man accused of murder faces unique circumstances
- Good Sports: Coach Mark Rogers
- Red Wave Gets To See Carr One Last Time
- Tips to keep cars running during cold weather