Man killed by gunfire near Chance and Woodward in SE Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police are investigating a murder that happened early Thursday morning. Witnesses say a man was shot shortly after a disturbance near Chance and Woodward in Southeast Fresno.
Benjamin Garcia was getting ready to fall asleep Wednesday when gunfire startled him. He looked out his apartment window to see a man injured and running toward his complex.
"I heard some voices, I couldn't see nothing, then I seen a guy running right here, on the sidewalk, on the left side right there," said Garcia. "And then he collapses right there by that telephone pole. So I called 9-1-1 to come and help him because he looked pretty bad."
Two hours later, police say 48-year-old Shannon Ritherford died. Investigators aren't releasing a motive, but shortly after the murder, officers got a search warrant at a home across the street from the crime scene.
Those who live in the area say the victim sometimes stayed here with a female friend. Police say the woman is one of the several people being questioned about the circumstances that led to his death.
Mark Salazar with the Fresno Police Department said, "The case is progressing. No one has been arrested yet. It does not appear to be gang related at this point."
Garcia says he saw the victim struggling after the shooting. But he says he was still able to speak.
"All I heard him say is that he couldn't breathe," explained Garcia. "And that he had a gunshot wound or a wound by his chest, the left side of his chest. That was the last time I seen him, they took him."
Police say it's too early to tell whether the murder may have been caused by domestic dispute. So far, officers have not recovered the gun.
crimetracker, shooting, homicide, murder, fresno southeast, fresno, fresno county, local, sontaya rose
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Juvenile seriously injured in Planada shooting
- Truck driver dies after pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Lawsuit filed after arrest made in Elbow Room fight
- Experts advise caution after several carbon monoxide leaks
- Freeze affects Valley's $1.5 billion citrus industry
- Merced Mercy Credit Union Cycling Classic runs its course
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Video: Valley Works: Fresno State Nursing Program
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room
- Pulmonary Rehab: Healing with music
- Fresno State fans plan for the Royal Purple Vegas Bowl
- Derek Carr not on Heisman Trophy finalist list
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos