Man killed by gunfire near Chance and Woodward in SE Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police are investigating a murder that happened early Thursday morning. Witnesses say a man was shot shortly after a disturbance near Chance and Woodward in Southeast Fresno.
Benjamin Garcia was getting ready to fall asleep Wednesday when gunfire startled him. He looked out his apartment window to see a man injured and running toward his complex.
"I heard some voices, I couldn't see nothing, then I seen a guy running right here, on the sidewalk, on the left side right there," said Garcia. "And then he collapses right there by that telephone pole. So I called 9-1-1 to come and help him because he looked pretty bad."
Two hours later, police say 48-year-old Shannon Ritherford died. Investigators aren't releasing a motive, but shortly after the murder, officers got a search warrant at a home across the street from the crime scene.
Those who live in the area say the victim sometimes stayed here with a female friend. Police say the woman is one of the several people being questioned about the circumstances that led to his death.
Mark Salazar with the Fresno Police Department said, "The case is progressing. No one has been arrested yet. It does not appear to be gang related at this point."
Garcia says he saw the victim struggling after the shooting. But he says he was still able to speak.
"All I heard him say is that he couldn't breathe," explained Garcia. "And that he had a gunshot wound or a wound by his chest, the left side of his chest. That was the last time I seen him, they took him."
Police say it's too early to tell whether the murder may have been caused by domestic dispute. So far, officers have not recovered the gun.
crimetracker, shooting, homicide, murder, fresno southeast, fresno, fresno county, local, sontaya rose
- Bloody burglary suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- Valley cities among those where residents feel least safe
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove
- Fresno County jail inmate death labeled a homicide
- Dinuba apartment manager arrested on forgery charges
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- Honey oil safety class for firefighters in Fresno
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Drought may impact farmers market prices
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Valley teens on a spring break job hunt
- Kingsburg water meters change watering habits
- Accuweather Forecast
9 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos